Technetium tc 99m medronate (By injection)
Technetium Tc 99m Medronate (tek-NEE-shee-um Tc 99m ME-droe-nate)
Used to help your doctor see an image of your bones to help find problems.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not get this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to technetium Tc 99m medronate or if you are breastfeeding.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A doctor or other health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins before you have a bone scan.
- You will need to urinate right away and as often as possible for 4 to 6 hours after you get this medicine. Drink plenty of fluids before and after you get this medicine so you will urinate more.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or if you have kidney disease, low calcium in the blood, or other medical problems.
- You may be exposed to radiation when you get this medicine. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever, chills, nausea, or vomiting
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Blurred vision, sweating, confusion, or unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Rash or itching skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.