Barium sulfate (By mouth)
Used to help view images of the body during a medical test or imaging procedure.
E-Z-Cat Dry, E-Z-Disk, E-Z-HD, E-Z-Paste, Entero VU, Liquid E-Z-Paque, Readi-Cat 2, Readi-Cat 2 Smoothie, Tagitol V, Varibar, Varibar Pudding, VolumenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to barium.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Liquid, Paste, Tablet
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. You will swallow the barium liquid or paste just before your scan or procedure.
- Drink plenty of liquids after the test to help clear the barium from your body and to keep you hydrated. Barium may cause severe constipation.
- Follow all instructions you are given for your scan or procedure. Your doctor may tell you not to eat or drink anything the night before your test. Barium will work better if your stomach and bowels are empty.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have asthma, cancer, heart disease, trouble swallowing, an allergy to other contrast agents, or a history of fructose intolerance (genetic disease). Tell your doctor about any digestion problems, including bleeding, ulcer, blockage, narrowing, diverticulitis, or recent surgery, trauma, or radiation treatment on the hip area.
- This medicine may cause constipation, which could be severe.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, coughing up blood
- Fever, chills, cough, fast heartbeat, shallow breathing
- Sudden, severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting with fever
- Trouble swallowing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.